Greece: Cybercrime division and Cyberkid campaign
The Cyber Crime Division of the Hellenic Police HQ is responsible, according to the Presidential Decree 178/2014, for Internet issues that involve minors. As a specialized Division of the Hellenic Police HQ, Cyber Crime Division’s mission includes among other things, the prevention and prosecution of crimes or antisocial behaviors that are committed via the Internet against minors.
Specifically, the Unit of Innovative Actions and Strategy of the Cyber Crime Division is responsible for:
- raise awareness on Internet and cyber crime issues among citizens and organizations through the implementation of various activities such as conferences, meetings and teleconferences, as well as organizing other innovative actions in the field of combating cybercrime,
- conducting strategic planning regarding cybercrime,
- the dissemination of the social work of the Division by creating and managing profiles on social networking websites (Twitter, Facebook etc.), in order to communicate with the citizens and inform them about new threats and issues on cyber space,
- monitor the developments on cybercrime issues, both regionally and internationally, in order to prepare a relevant annual study with conclusions about cyber crime issues in the country and proposals to effectively address them,
- recording actions and statistics regarding cybercrime.
A campaign “CYBERKID” has been developed in order to inform parents, teachers and children about the internet safety.
In this scope:
WEBSITE: An informative website www.cyberkid.gr was created in order to inform parents and children about the internet safety. Except this, children can find many educative games and play online in a secure environment.
APPLICATION CYBERKID: Except all the above-mentioned preventive actions an innovative application for smartphones and tablets was created in order to inform citizens on daily basis about new threats and measures of protection. Additionally, the application allows citizens to directly contact the
Hellenic Cyber Crime Division, in case of emergency by using only one “red” button, the “Cyberalert”. After that a concrete process named “Cyberalert saves lives” is followed in order to provide help to the person in danger. The application is available without charge on Android Market, App Store and
The Cyber Crime Division is present in Social Media as follows:
- Facebook: certified pages “Cyber Alert” and “CyberKid”
- Instagram: certified account “cyberalert.gr”
- Twitter: certified account “@CyberAlertGR”
- Youtube: certified channel “CYBER ALERT”